I’ll give you ten reasons why I think the Panasonic Lumix FZ1000 is still the best bridge camera for personal or semi-professional video capture, even in 2018 – four years after it’s release. BTW, I bought one recently.
- The price is just right for it’s category, especially when compared to the much higher unjustifiably-priced cameras with similar specs from Sonys and Nikons.
- Large One Inch Sensor to capture more details, and better low light performance.
- 4K Video recording along with 1080p & 720p.
- 120fps slow motion (could’ve been more – but sufficient for regular usage) & Time Lapse photo/video.
- 3.5mm External Mic Jack – Very useful for vloggers, youtubers and for taking interviews, recording concerts, etc. Just try to find another camera with these feautures and an external mic port!!
- 5-axis Optical Image Stabilisation – very useful to take better quality videos while moving/walking.
- 18x Optical Zoom & Manual focus. Optical zoom is very important to my kinda work as I can’t always get close to the subjects. More would’ve been better – but this 300mm equivalent sufficient for most cases. Manual Focus is useful esp. for creative shots – to bring the scene in focus from being out of focus. But it is also useful for regular video recording as Pros recommend getting used to manual focus for precise control.
- Optional telephoto & wide-angle lenses. Although the FZ1000 is a bridge camera with a fixed lens, these optional lenses can be screwed on when required – useful at times.
- Large size & Camera hood makes it look professional – yeah, some clients go by the looks. Although, some people might consider the larger size/weight to be a disadvantage, I don’t.
- WiFi connection to mobile phone lets you to share photos & videos instantly. This camera comes with a 180 degree rotate and tilt screens, so it’s easy to see what we are recording when we are taking selfies or when we attach it to a tripod and show/speak from the front.
I wonder why other camera manufacturer or even Panasonic themselves have not come up with a better camera (at a similar price range) even after four years. Until they do, here is to my productive, creative and fun days with the Panasonic Lumix FZ1000 Bridge Camera 🙂